Saturday, November 04, 2006

Getting to Meet New Cultures!

On June 18, my family and I were in our way to Barranquilla. This time, it wasn’t to shop, or to go to the zoo; it was for something much more interesting. That day, we were going to a Batmitzbah. It was going to take place in the Barranquilla Synagogue. I was very excited, because I had never been to one Batmitzvah until that day. I was also excited, because I will be staying at the Dan Carton hotel with many of my friends. When I arrived to the hotel, I checked in, and like n hour later I went with my family to Buena Vista mall, which was in front of the hotel. There, we look at stores, but didn’t shop. Finally, we went back to the hotel and started getting ready for the ceremony.

When we were all ready, we arrived to the synagogue. There, I encountered with lots of my friends, it was really fun. The synagogue is very similar to a Christian church, but it had its differences. Finally, the ceremony began. There were 7 girls making their Batmitzvah, one of them was Yona Schuster, which was the one who invited me. The ceremony wasn’t so long; there was a rabbi which is like the “sacerdote” in the Christian church. Each of the 7 girls, made a speech in which they thank god, and also thank their parents, sibling, friends, and extended families for all the help they had received from them. At the end, everyone congratulated the girls, but this wasn’t over, now there was a party.

We arrived to the Jews’ club which was just beside the synagogue. There, a gigantic party was taking place. There was lots of tables and music. They served bankets of food; I was very impressed of seeing so much food! There were 2 buffets. At first, there was one which included the “entradas”. Then, they served the real food and the desserts. There were all kinds of desserts; chocolates, cakes, cookies etc. That part was very fun, we danced, played, and obviously ate. At the end, I was very tired, and as soon as I arrived to the hotel, I fall a sleep.

The next day, we went down to eat breakfast, but unfortunately, all the food was over because we woke up very late. Then, we decided to get into the pool, Yona would be getting with us too, but there was one problem, my cousin didn’t have bathing suit. We solved the problem immediately; we went to the Buena Vista and bought her one. Then, we went into the pool and had an awesome time. After so much exercise, we were hungry. We decided to take a bath, and then we went to the Buena Vista and ate lunch. In those 2 days, I had an awesome time!

It was very interesting getting to know new cultures; this was an experience I will never forget!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

Wow… this sounds like it was a lot of fun! I haven’t really met or learned about any other cultures, but it sounds like it would be something really interesting and good to do. I would love to learn about another culture.

The after party thing sounded like a lot of fun, it would have been fun to go with friends, and also meet new people. I love dancing and listening to music! What kind of music did they have? Music teens listen to today, or cultural music?

Sounds like you had a lot of fun… although I don’t have a clue where Barranquilla is.

Amazing blog! You are doing an amazing work and keeping up to date, and writing amazing posts… I look forward to coming back and seeing more great posts!